Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot connect to server or view cube

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpienaar

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
ZA
Hi
I am fairly new on the admin/setup side of Microsoft SQL Analysis Services. I have just installed Microsft SQL Server 2000 and the Analysis Manager that comes with it.
I have created a new database in the Analysis Manager and used a database from the SQL Server I am running and tested the connection and it gives a "Test Connection Succeeded." message.
I have created a cube called 'Metric_Dashboard' and successfully processed and saved it.
However, when I try the "Action" - "Browse Data" on the cube I have created I get an error message "Unable to browse cube 'Metric_Dashboard'. Unable to locate cube 'Metric_Dashboard'."
I also cannot connect to the cube from Excel- Excel does not recognise the Server.
My Service Manager has "SQL Server", "SQL Server Agent", "MSSQLServerOLAPService" and "Distributed Transaction Coordinator" running.
The name for the SQL Server Database and the OLAP Database are the same.
I have no idea what the problem is or what to do to get the OLAP services working- any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

john,

You need to install the correct service packs to make sure SQL server and analysis manager are at the same level.
I had exact the same problem when migrating from test to production and installing fixpack for analysis manager cured the problem instantly.
You can download service pack from Microsoft's site, but be sure to get the right one.
The file names for service packs on SQL server and analysis manager are almost identical....

Ties Blom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back