Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cannot Connect to Remote Registry

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
This problem seems to kind of intermittent - possibly something to do with the image that we've deployed. Basically, I cannot connect to any remote registry - even though the remote registry service is running on the local PC. It will add the computer in but as soon as I try to expand the hives I get "Error while opening key".

Also, I cannot connect to remove Event Viewers - again, it gets added into the MMC but I get permission denied when I try to open it. On some of our member servers, I also get this error, and on others it works fine. I'm running all this as domain admin, so are there some user rights I need to be looking out for? We do have quiet alot of user rights assigned through group policy.

Anybody got any ideas?

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Get your Irish Poetry Published
Garten und Landschaftsbau

You may need to authenticate to the remote computer via resource sharing before you can access it's registry.

I always log into my local machine rather than the domain and I won't automatically authenticate to other computers because my login is not a local admin account on other computers. Therefore, I haven't automatic access to that computer's registry.

Also, VNC and other remote control programs have value, and I use and love them, but if you have security on the network, a standard user cannot write to the registry, this means that the standard user has to log out so I can log in as admin and edit the registry - or I can do my work without interupting them. This also works for all remote computer management.

You might also consider PSTOOLS from sysinternals because you can do some neat things like remotely shutting down large groups of computers and remotely running defrag, adding registry keys, software updates and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back