Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can i have multiple CD-RW ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSJpn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
US
I was wondering if i could put in multiple (2 or 3) CD-RW in my computer so that I could make many CD's at once. I would be making CD's of mp3 files that were on my hard drive and I would want each CD to be different. Could I be making 2 or 3 CD's of different songs at the same time with and with no performance loss??
I was wondering because it seems like if i were to make 3 CD's of different songs the HD would have to be doing a lot of jumping around , then again it might not even be possible?
If this method wouldn't work, can you suggest a way that would? All i want is to download tons of songs and pump out CD's like theres no tommorow.

I think you will have a system resources problem if you tried to run two or more at one time. This would likely lead to data loss and cd's that don't work, which wouldn't save you much time. I can't, however, think or another way to do what you're trying to accomplish.

By the way, are you starting a buisness or something? :)

Nope, this is for home use. I have a lot of MP3's that i want to get on CD's. I just figured that two or more CD-RWs working for me would make the job twice/three times as fast.

Anyone else have input? or is osuman right when he says it won't work.

yes m8 i have input - and experience of trying to accomplish a similar thing...........

there are lots of things to bear in mind if your trying to do this.....

1. try to use CDRW drives with burnproofing, to avoid against buffer underrun (more likely with 2 or more drives)- the earliest CDR drives would underrun if you even started browsing the web....

2. Have lots of available system RAM, and preferably a fast HDD - SCSI is ideal for these types of tasks...

3. i doubt you can write different things to diffrent drives at any great speed - especially as you say the data is coming from a single hard disc.

i did manage to copy the same data to 2 discs at once but they were not running simultaneously - i.e: one started shorlty after tyhe other - and it was soooo slow. hope this helps.

oh yeah - also think about cooling - if you run a CD or DVD in a drive for a few minutes you will notice how warm they can get.... multiply that heat by 2 or 3......... :(

i agree it wouldn`t work as you `re hoping, i never tried such a thing, but i say even if it will, it will be much slower than only one working on its own

hmmm, thanks for the input guys.. i guess i can't do what i was hoping i could.. but...

I'm still not FULLY convinced its not possible. Anyone out there say you can do it? If not ill just give up...

I don't think so! The amount of system resources used would probably still make you create coasters instead of CD's. You can have more than one CD-R/RW in a system, but you'd have to be running two different instances of the software in order to burn simultaneously! Usually you have to select which CD burner you want to use.

You can have up to 4 internal EIDE devices. If you use SCSI interface you can add more hardware devices that will run faster. Usually that requires a SCSI I/O board. Some devices can also be added externally through the other computer ports, like USB, parallell, or serial ports. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

SURE THERE IS NO PROBLEM WITH THIS I HAVE BUILT A SYSTEM WITH 6 REWRITERS WITH NO HASSLE! THIS IS FOR LEGITIMATE PURPOSES ONLY AND DON'T PROMOTTE ILLEGAL COPYING!

GIVE ME A BUZZ IF U NEED INFO

YES YES YES YES IT IS POSSIBLE EASY PEASY NICE AN EASY!

DROP ME AN EMAIL! I WILL EVN TELL YOU THE BEST SOFTWARE TO USE SEE YA

I DONT PROMOTE ILLEGAL COPYING!

am glad to hear that its possible !!!!!!!

PLEASE remeber to add new fans and cool your system properly!!!!!
I can make coffee if i have DVD and CD running at the same time !!

GL

Yes you could put multiple CD writers in one unit.

You could only record lots of CDs at once if you're software supports it...

Software like nero will not work as I believe winaspi.dll can only be in use once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back