Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can an MSTR Project access data from two sources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bittmapp

Technical User
Jul 21, 2003
US
Hello All,

Newbie to MSTR.

1. Is it possible to have data tables in two different data warehouses and have the MSTR Project access both sets of tables?

2. Can you insert some tables into the MSTR metadata database and use them in the MSTR project, i.e. hierarchy attributes?

Thx for your input.

Hi there,

1. MicroStrategy won't let you point at two seperate databases for the warehouse connection. Now, I think you can access different schemas within a single database, but not two seperate databases. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I think you'd have to bring in the data that you have in the seperate warehouse to a new table(s) in the main data warehouse. Or, perhaps you could try creating a database link in the main data warehouse that points to the tables needed in the other warehouse. But, I probably wouldn't go that route because database links are slower than having the data in one place.

2. If I understand your second question right, I believe the short answer is no. :) Any data you want to use for reporting should be in the database that your warehouse is in. The metadata tables are created by MicroStrategy and accessed by MicroStrategy. You don't really have any input to the database those tables are in beyond what you do thru the MicroStrategy tool.

Hope that helps.

Nate

Nate,

I think you are correct. The only way that I have heard of using two separate databases is by using something like IBM's DataJoiner which I believe makes multiple databases look like one.

This is what I am attempting to do now.
I want to access DB2 tables with SQl server tables.
According to my research "Microstrategy 7i includes
support for heterogeneous data sources through IBM Relational Connect". I will let you know if it works.

Katie

SQL server can support linked "servers". You should be able to link to DB2 and create one single database catalog of tables. This single db catalog should show all SS and DB2 tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back