Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Business Objects Designer - left outer join

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahG

Programmer
May 23, 2002
IE
Hi,
I hope I have the right forum. My question is on Business Objects Designer, to which I am new.

I am setting up a universe, which seems straightforward enough. However, say I have two tables, Table1 and Table2 which are joined by a left outer join, i.e. I want to return the records in Table1 and those that match in Table2. BO Designer accepts the left outer join, however when I run a report against the associated objects, and select a field from Table1 and a field from Table2, only those records with an entry in both are returned, i.e. it seems to ignore the left outer join, and treat it as an inner join anyway?!

If there is a way around this to force BO to perform the out join, please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Sarah.

If you are using a field from the right table in your record selection, you are probably negating the left outer join. Give some more details about the report. What db are you using? Can we see the SQL?

If you are using a field from the right table in your record selection, then here's what I have done to get around that.

isnull({table2.key}) or table2.field = "value

Hi,
it's sorted. I was just down to my own error. Sorry! But thanks for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back