Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Burning CD's / DVD's 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchiphead2

Technical User
Oct 14, 2004
US
I just started using Vista and noticed that so far (almost) everything that I've burned to CD played on my computer but not my other CD players? I'm using CD-R to copy. I burned one DVD which worked fine on my TV/DVD but others give the message "this disk can't be played". Do I need a new CD player or is there something (or many somethings) that I'm missing about copying thru Vista. Thanks, Thom

It depends on what you are putting on the CD. If you have MP3 or WMA files for example and you write them to the CD without converting them first, then many standalone CD players won't be able to read them. Your computer can because it has the ability to play those types of files.

What you need to do is use Windows Media Player or a 3rd-party program like Nero or Roxio to make an "audio" CD. It will convert the files to the CD Audio format on the fly as it burns the CD. When you look at the finished CD, you will see files with the .CDA extension (which stands for CD Audio).

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

I whole heartily agree with the CDOGG there... Most newer DVD Players (TV) can play MP3 audio files without any problems and thus they will work there, where as car cd players (e.g.) might balk at them and say can't play etc...

Burning audio CDs explained

Burn Your Own CDs (Media Player)

How to burn an audio CD

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Format a CD or DVD

"Before you can copy files to a CD or DVD, the disc must first be prepared using a process called formatting. There are several ways to format a CD or DVD disc. Your choice of format determines which computers and other devices will be able to read the disc".

Read the rest of the article via the Help and Support program and search "Format a CD or DVD", things are different in Vista from XP, so make sure you select the appropriate formatting option for your media.

Thanks a million for the info about CD burning. Very helpful. Once again; it's simple when you know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back