Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

bug in update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrysr

Technical User
Sep 9, 2005
US
Ive been using InDesign CS2 for weeks and making a catalog. I did the latest update and now almost everytime I place images in Indesign from Illustrator the images are 10X the normal size they are supposed to be. I export images in illustrator as JPEGS and everything was working fine until the update.

any suggestions?

Since you're exporting to a raster format, I assume that you're assignin a high reoslution and that's showing when imported.

You will do best if you don't export the AI stuff to jpeg for use in ID unless you've had to import a raster into the Ai doc. You can simply save in AI format and use that. Then you have no problems with rasteriztion.

If you're AI document is the usual AI vector, you should save as either AI or EPS. That will always work better, giving cleaner edges to the work, than a raster format like jpeg or tiff.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

I send my pages off to a printer who can not use AI format. Also I need jpegs so I can compress them and then my catalog will open faster becasue the parts are smaller size.

1. What about the fact that I never had this problem until the recent update?

2. Is there any other way I can save the pictures as vectors without AI or EPS? The printers I use cannot use those formats.

It's not clear to me why you need to rasterize your AI files. You're placing the artwork into InDesign, right? What files do you send to your printer? Do you send the InD files? Do you make PDFs? In either of these cases, what reason would your printer have for refusing placed AI files?

I don't know why your images are suddenly appearing too large, but would like to point out the set of "fit" icons in CS2.. fit image to frame, fit image proportionately, etc.

What if you tried copy and pasting the eps instead of placing? Just an idea... I have no clue if that would make a difference or not... :)

Is there any other way I can save the pictures as vectors without AI or EPS? The printers I use cannot use those formats.

What formats can they accept? PDF?

This also makes me wonder about your printer.... I work at a small print shop and we can use ai files, but I prefer eps. I've dealt with other shops that can't use ai but CAN use eps and that's how I usually save my work when it's going to a vendor (or pdf). If your printer can accept InDesign files, they can certainly handle eps files placed within it. Or if you're sending a pdf, you can use either format in ID and it won't make a difference in the end.

(SoCoQueen, copying and pasting is not a good way to place images... you need to link it to the actual file, especially if it will be printed on an offset press! And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that changes vector to raster also.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back