Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bound Controls and Calculations 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezzzo

Technical User
May 30, 2003
US
Hi

I`m new to programming and have a best practices question. As with any program the data has to be saved. I`ve hacked around with bound controls and the bynamefield. It seems like this is more difficult thenjust having the data saved by sql. In the program I`m attempting I`m going to have many functions that represent numerical calculations. I`ve heard something that if you use bound controls your not suppose to save the results to the main database. If your using bound controls how do you dealt with the saving results problem. Hope this makes sense to the experts in this great forum.

Thanks

In later Delphi versions there are in-memory datasets to avoid this problem (TClientDataSet etc). See one article on how to do this: In older versions turn CachedUpdates on and test your database design (try to limit the number of linked tables that you're updating).

It depends very much on who you listen to, and what you requirements are. If you've only got a few users and not much data (<1M rows per table), you're going to be fine with any SQL database and direct connections. People who complain about this often have big system requirements or high job security needs.

Your nightmare with this is (say) 10-20 data entry staff all busily creating data in 6-10 linked tables using code with cached updates on (so they can cancel updates or correct errors). Now do a report run that hits those tables hard... even a fairly big server will choke on that sometimes.

In that case, you might actually have to hire a programmer to do the work ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back