Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

boot up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

afterburner

IS-IT--Management
Aug 22, 2000
US
I have several workstations that have started running a scan disk program when the pc is booted up. It starts when the boot loader has started. Why is this happening and how can I stop it ?

It is down to the systems not being shut down properly. Check yourself (don't let users do it as they just don't understand!) by starting and shutting down. If it won't shut down properly but you still don't want scandisk to run there is a change you can make - what OS are they using?

These are NT 4.0 workstations , and I have went to them and shut them down myself. They are being shutdown correctly but when they boot back up this scan program starts running.

Yes the machines run OK. I have also seen this happen when you get the blue screen of death.

If the scandisk flag is set, it will continue to run scandisk until either scandisk resets the flag or you do.

I have the same problem with windows98. It shuts down ok, i have no errors in the device config and yet everytime I start it tells me that the machine was not shut down properly and performs scandisk - everytime! Whats the correct course of action? (detailed please). Thanks.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back