Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC505

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2002
US
Hi,

I know this has been asked before but I have the BOI interface unlocked already and I see how to add it into my .net(c#) applications. The thing that I was not provided with is examples. I was looking through the ProvideX language reference and getting a handle on that but any white papers or examples would be greatly appreciated. I am a programmer and am interested in learning the capabalities on a test installation I have so I would appreciate any and all help. Thank you all in advance.

-Adam

There are two documents out there that are suppose to with it. Normally you go through training where you are issued the documentation and help files. Have your reseller contact Sage to see about getting the documents.

Hi Biglouie,

I have heard about the two documents and my reseller is incredibly hard to get anything out of, it's like pulling teeth. Plus the incredibly overpriced hourly rate is something I try to avoid. Since our reseller doesn't provide us with training and since I have taught myself everything from scratch for this program I was hoping someone will have these documents to send for to me rather then go through the rather arduous process of contacting my reseller. It's a shame because I will never recommend this program to anyone although I don't necessarily know if there is anything better out there. Oh well.

-Adam

What do you consider "incredibly overpriced"? Why doesn't the reseller provide you with training?

Dawn

Sounds like you need a new reseller. What is "incredibly overpriced"? Is it the price itself or the lack of knowledge?

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Anything over 150 an hour is overpriced to me. I do consulting on the side for 80 an hour which to me I feel is pushing it and almost feel guilty about it. And I apologize for my rant, I was not having the best of days and this isn't necessarily the place to take it out on. I have just had a heck of a time getting any information that would have saved me days of work. I am sure this software can work very well for people but it has just been very tough for us to work with and a constant uphill battle. Thanks for the replies and again I apologize if I have offended anyone.

-Adam

It depends on how much you value the work you are providing. If a doctor saves your life, and spends the equivalent of $300/hour to do so, would that be overpriced? Similarly, if a consultant bills $150/hour and saves your data, is that overpriced?

It's all about the value of the services provided.

Dawn

"I do consulting on the side for 80 an hour which to me I feel is pushing it and almost feel guilty about it."

Good thing you don't do it full time, you would go out of business at 80 per. Why do you consider $150 overpriced? That is the norm for ANY software consulting firm. How do you expect them to pay for the office, the staff, their benefits and the equipment they use?

I can understand for many firms that is a normal and adequate charge. I unfortunately do not have the normal corporate mentality that many do. I see things from small business where I could not think of many cases where I personally would be willing to pay someone that amount of money but on the other hand there are many people who do not have the technical know how or willingness to learn that would benefit from such services and in that case the amount would be quite acceptable. I am very technically minded and would rather do all of this myself especially when I am being told to finish something on time but I am held up weeks on time by not receiving the information that I have requested even if it is for a product we have paid for. So in my specific case it is aggravating but for many this is an acceptable fee for their services and yes they also have many costs to cover themselves. This is mainly pent from aggravation at my reseller not at Mas 90 itself or from anyone else I've dealt with in regards to the software. I believe that if I had had a better reseller/support I would have a much higher opinion of the software.

-Adam

You guys are debating wonderful things, honestly... but I think 150/hr is a rip but yes if they know their stuff and can save you money its totally worth it, otherwise they have that sharp knife waiting to chop their head off because they are so overpriced. I am glad you compared them to a doctor, doctors go to school WAY longer and you pay them for they know not what they do. A programmer is someone you pay for what they do and they better know it. Just like doctors they are full if it, never talking about the best cheapest only what PILLS or MODULES they want to push. The pills arent as good as natural remidies but they aren't taught that in school, same with MAS guys. I also feel the frustation DC505, perhaps its time to move to another software :)) just kidding, we will find the way and just about the time we do MAS will release a module thats 10 times better and 10 times more expensive and it will work just fine.

Fine, you guys get another quote..

"i don't want it i just need it to breathe to feel to know i'm alive"-tool

If you think that by moving to another software is going to result in lower support fees you are really dreaming.

DC505, over time our company has become close to self-supporting on MAS. Can't remember the last time we had to call our reseller for help. I know it has been at least a year and a half. But it took a while with a lot of going to class, yes going to class, going to seminars, basically learning. But it can be done.

I'm glad that it has worked well for you, I would love to go to class and learn these things but unfortunately the companies I work for are very cheap and will not send me to anything like that unless it is free. So I end up having to learn all of this on my own which as you can imagine is very frustrating when you have the support that I do. We are only using Mas 90 because it was free for our sister company to use since the parent company was using it. So there wasn't a lot of research or time put into figuring out if it was the best solution. I'm slowly getting it there but it is turning out to be quite challenging. And now I have to find a way to export everything out and then re-import it in month by month because our reseller told us the wrong way to input sales orders and we had one giant batch that had 4 months worth of data in it and now we don't have accurate sales numbers. Anyways I am hoping I will be able to take part in some classes to learn and make this function well for us.

-Adam

If you aren't aware, you can call Sage at 800-854-3415 and ask them to recommend to you another reseller in your area. Or, look for one not necessarily in your geographical area but who is good. Some people prefer local over anything else.

(Note: if you call Sage right now, it may take a while to get through with the wildfires ripping through CA. That's where they are located.)

Dawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back