Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Board renumber

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewNic

IS-IT--Management
Nov 14, 2003
US
Can any one tell just what a Board-renumber does ? when to use it? when not to use it? It seems like its a soft reset and a general clean up command. Am i way off base

Thanks

You use board renumber when you install a new board into a existing system.
Sometimes it will fix some funky things that happen too. I've had some weird issues a couple of time, and this has fixed them.

KILLBOX

When you would swap boards or sometimes, add boards, this command will perform a cold start and allow the system to reconize the new boards.

Should it be done as a perodic prefentive manintance parctice even if were not changing any boards?

No need. You only need to add boards. I've used it to solve a couple of funky issues like I said, but that's the only other time.

KILLBOX

Technically, a board re-number causes each circuit card to re-number its ports (lines, stations) based on its physical position in the system. Not necessary to do unless you have moved/installed boards.

It's interesting that this is necessary; obviously there is some non-volatile storage on the boards that "remembers" where the board was installed, perhaps to allow faster restart.

Hey all,
I know this thread is somewhat old, but I am hoping someone might see this post. I have reached capacity on my Legend and have a spare 408 GS/LS - MLX digital card and a spare 008 Analog card that I'd like to install two weekends from now. I've learned the system on my own with no formal training and as I understand it, to do this I need to:
1. Power down the system
2. Install the new boards (terminate the cross connects from the cards to the back of the punchdown block)
3. Power up the system
4. Do a board renumber (I assume this won't wipe out existing extensions?)
5. Do a system renumber (on the new ports)(I assume this won't wipe out existing extensions either?)

The Legend this is being installed in has the following card config:
Slot1: 408 GS/LS - MLX
Slot2: 408 GS/LS - MLX
Slot3: 008 MLX
Slot4: 008
Slot5: 016 TRR
Slot6: 016 TRR
Slot7: 012
Slot8: 100D (T1 Tie line to main site)
Slots 9-17: Not used

I am assuming I can install the new cards in slots 9 + 10 without having to move the T1 tie card over to slot 10 and install the new cards in slots 8 + 9?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

Funny that you post this today... I was actually working on something similar this weekend. I'm working on replacing a CKE3 with a CKE4 so I can use 016rg cards. I've been trying to use an 008 ATL, and it works for a couple of hours, but then causes the card in the neighboring slot to go wacky (messaging).

if in my 2nd cabinet I have T1 card, T1 card, messaging, can I re-arrange the position of those without screwing up programming, so long as I keep the two T1 cards together?

If all that is in the 2nd carrier is t1-t1-msg, then you'll be okay.

If your saying that your second carrier has t1-t1-008ATL-msg and you want to swap the 008ATL with the msg board, then you'll be 4 extensions off when you renumber (the message board has 12 ports assigned to it).

franke

Hey Franke or anyone else,
Would you be able to help me with this portion of my question? I'm still unsure of this part and was wondering if you could confirm from my post above?

"I am assuming I can install the new cards in slots 9 + 10 without having to move the T1 tie card over to slot 10 and install the new cards in slots 8 + 9?"

Thank you all.

New cards, installed to the RIGHT of Old Cards, will just "FIT RIGHT IN" to your numbering scheme.

Does that answer your question?

lamintdog,
You'll be fine installing your new cards in slots 9 & 10. As pointed out by GSmitherman above, DO NOT do a system renumber, or you will put your switch back to it's default number plan. If you still have concerns, you can email me a number at support at krescom dot com and I'll try to reply as quickly as possible.

franke

Perfect. I will test it out in two weekends and let you know how it goes.

Very much appreciated.

Franke;

Yes, I meant the only thing in the 2nd carrier was t1, t1, msg, and I'm assuming that since the net number of stations/trunks is not changing, then a board renumber should not impact extension numbering. Very kewl. I don't really think I 'need' to change it, but wondered.

Actually, you should do a Board Renumber any time you add a board. This will cause the system to "look out" at the boards, find the new ones, and setup its internal memory for it. Don't confuse this with System Renumber which will change your dial plan completly.

Any extension boards that you add at the end of the current cards will simply populate extension numbers continuing where you left off.

Yes, TTT, I kinda' skimmed over one issue.

New Cards, REPLACING OLD CARDS will not really be "SEEN" until a BOARD RENUMBER.

AND.... When you replace a card, with a different type, you have to (A) BROADCAST to the USERS (Intercom 799) that you are shutting the system down.

- - AND - -

(B) - you have to TELL THEM AGAIN TO GET OFF THE PHONES WHILE YOU DO THE BOARD RENUMBER....

My experience has been, once they see thier Phone "go live" (After you power up following adding the new card), the IMMEDIATELY jump back on the phones, thus, the BOARD RENUMBER is hampered while waiting on the system to become idle again.

I hate it when that happens....

What I usually do every time I add a card is to busy out all the cards in the system. I give them the 5 minute window to get off the phones and say anything after, your call will be disconnected. Then I go and busy out every slot that has a card in it. IF the card is busy and in use, and the system is waiting to busyout the slot, do a reset. It will cut everyone off and busyout the slot. Then when your powercycle, the cards are still maintance busy and you are able to do your board renumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back