Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blue Screen Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

boston33

MIS
Jan 9, 2005
US
Hello,

We are using a Optiplex 745. The OS is XP Media Center. We use it with VMWare and Microsoft Office.

Lately, it has been blue screening, with this messag: " A problem has been detected... Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error... Atapi.sys F74A7SOC..."

Do you have any troubleshooting suggestions?(We are trying to avoid re-installing the OS.) Thanks for your assistance.

Random Blue Screens Of Death or does a specific program trigger it?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

One of the first things you should do is to run a full scan with a good anti-virus / anti-malware program to see if it finds anything unusual.

Dan

It would help if you posted the exit codes - the 0x000000??? - etc etc.

Older machines that start playing up are often suffering one of the following issues.

0. Malware - so check for that first. then - in addition it doesn't hurt to do the next 2 as well.

1. Over heating due to 'dust bunny' build up - give it a good clean inside. Especially the CPU heat sink.

2. Thermal creep - re seat all boards and the RAM modules and check all connectors are firmly engaged.

After doing that run memtest86 (its a free download to burn a bootable CDROM) and check the RAM is OK.

STOP 0x0000007A: KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (Usual causes: Memory, Paging file corruption, File system, Hard drive, Cabling, Virus infection, Improperly seated cards, BIOS, Bad motherboard, Missing Service Pack.

I think the bold entries need attention first with Atapi.sys listed as being at fault.

I would add the following possible causes as more likely:
Bad memory or bad hard drive.

So, I would put the troubleshooting priorities this way:
1. Memory Test (ultimate boot cd has it)
2. Malware scan (MalwareBytes anti-malware and then combofix)
3. Hard drive test (ultimate boot has them)
4. Driver updates (sound, video, network (esp. wireless network)

Do it in the order I suggested. If it's blue screening in atapi.sys, I'm suspicious of a root kit OR memory.

Well, true goombawaho. In fact if you really want to know what the issue is caused by then wait until it blue screens. Do not turn off, but immediately reboot to memtest and run it. If it reports failed RAM (on an overnight run) then turn off and clean the machine and reseat etc. The re-run memtest (again overnight).

If however memtest reports no errors then it is either malware, HDD issues or a daughter board or other connection is dodgy. So still clean & re-seat before going to step 2 in your list.

Life is short however, so clean and reseat first and then as you suggest!

LOL

Thanks for your assistance.

So far, I ran check disk with /r /f. It didn't find any bad sectors. I ran a virus scan. It looks OK. I increased the page file size.

Next, I will run a mem test and an adaware scan. I will send a reply in a day. Thanks again.

StDuc - Bad memory is pretty easy to find if you run MemTest on it. I don't know why you're putting such an emphasis on running a test so long. I usually see an error within a few minutes or at least after 1 full PASS.

You're not following instructions boston33.

I gave you specific products to use and in a certain order FOR A REASON. Please don't substitute other products or the order for best results.

CHKDSK doesn't replace the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.
A virus and ad-aware scan doesn't replace MBAM and combofix.

I'm not trying to be bossy, but I recommend these steps after years of experience.

goombawaho - Agreed - Maybe I should have said until it fails or overnight if the first pass is clean. In my experience if a PC is failing intermittently then an overnight of all clean passes rules out memory. Just as 1 fail rules it in! So obviously not overnight if it fails. But I have been caught out too often with even up to 5 passes and then a string of fails as - I dunno something warms up or the RAM creeps out by 0.000001mm. Who knows - LOL So for me only an overnight of clean passes counts as clean. Different strokes and all that.

To back you up - we take time to think out the best order of operations and software to give the required and best result. Treat it like a recipe. You wouldn't make a mushroom omelette by cooking the eggs first would you?

Boston33,

btw. increasing the size of the PageFile, does not fix a PageFile corruption...

what you need to do, is move the Pagefile to another partition, and removing the one on the current drive/partition, then reboot...

check the old location (usually the C: drive), to see if the PAGEFILE.SYS is still present, if it is delete it...

if you then wish to reverse the pagefile to it's default location do so and reboot again...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Also the board should be checked for bad caps, the 745 in different form factors and batches were known to have a problem with the regulator caps around the cpu socket. I have also seen a few of these systems with bad dimms causing blue screen issues.

I usually run the memory test overnight if I just can't figure out a problem and want to REALLY test the memory. That would also rule out heat creep as well whereas a short test wouldn't.

But, thankfully for me, bad RAM has hit me in the head with a bunch of errors in a relatively short period of time.

I like to us Windows Memory Diagnostic if I don't have much time and MemTest386+ if I have an hour or more.

As stated - a bad motherboard is never out of the question. I just like to work it down from the "easily" fixable to the "oh no" parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back