Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blocked Website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotoman

Technical User
May 7, 2003
GB
I think this is a security issue but I have no idea where to start.

I have one particular website that I manage but cannot access; I also cannot access the FTP server to make changes to the pages on this site.

IE7 reports the usual errors: misstyping the name, website is down, etc. It offers a diagnostic check but reports that it cannot find anything.

I can access the website and the FTP server, no problem on my PC at work.

I did have Norton Firewall installed but have now uninstalled it as it was probably interferring with the Windows Firewall. I tried accessing the website with Windows Firewall disabled but still cannot get on.

All other websites have no problem displaying and I can access other FTP Servers through the same provider.

I have checked out the Security section in Internet Explorer and cannot see any sites listed as being blocked.

Any help will be most gratefully received.

Fotoman

Crime Pays...
...unless you're a motorist!

I'm having a similar problem with both IE7 and Firefox. One is not being able to properly get to yahoo's mail site. Now I know that there was a problem to now... but I still can't get to it on this computer. I have a work laptop that is hooked to the same local network ( home net ) connected to a linksys router to a webstar cable modem ( RoadRunner / Brighthouse in Florida ) Funny thing is, my laptop ( also running a vpn to a corporate net ) can now get to yahoo's mail, this one can't. I also tried to get to the Brevard county website, which i don't recall ever accessing on this computer before, but couldn't, yet the laptop was able to.

One of the other posters mentioned Spybot Search and Destroy, I have that running too. I just looked, but can't seem to find it, where is the option to check on the block websites?

Thanx for your help,

Ron V.

Here's something that I found! I have a Belkin Router and thought it might be something to do with the Belkin Firewall having arguments with the IE7 firewall.

Found this site: which identifys the same problem and goes on about disabling the "Black List Defense" command in the config.icf file.

I've disabled it as the Forum states and all is well again. How this will last, I do not know, but watch this space, it could interesting.

Fotoman

Crime Pays...

2 things about this:

A: I'm using a Linksys Router, and
B: I have a pc and a laptop connected to it... and the laptop for now works....

Any other ideas?

These things are sent to try us! My wife uses an Apple Mac Laptop which uses 'Safari' to access the internet and she was getting the same problems, so that - presumably - ruled out Internet Explorer. The only common factor then was the Router.
After the same web page refused to open, I went into the logfile of the router and trawled through all the data; it was there that I found this 'Black List Defense'logged, so I did a search on that.
I can only suggest you find the logfile to your router and check for something similar.

Happy Hunting!

Fotoman

Crime Pays...

Gotta hand it to you buddy.... you were right....

What had me going for a bit was that the laptop had worked... so to me the router wasn't the "common denominator" .... but then I remembered that I normaly use the laptop with vpn to job's network .... so i disconnected from the vpn network and even rebooted the laptop... but with no vpn connection, the laptop wouldn't get there either ( I'll presume that since the laptop was connected via vpn, that the dns was coming from the company network, but when the vpn was disconnected, then the dns was coming from the Linksys router, and that's what the difference was )

Then, on the pc, I updated IE ( I was advised of an update ), and that didn't work... then you had mentioned something about seeing the "hosts" file on Spybot.... I couldn't find it... so i just uninstalled it and got an updated version and installed it... that didn't work...

Decided to peruse the Linksys website, and the site had to just detect my router and immediately a message popped up saying that there was a "mandatory" firmware update for my router...

Did the update, rebooted the router and my pc... and voila! it worked!

Thank you, Fotoman... yer a wiz! :)

Ron V.

Tell us what router & firmware version so everyone knows what to look for.

smah,

I have a Linksys WRT54G v6 and the newest version is 1.01.1 ... I'm not sure that will help you. My point was it might help to check the website for your brand and model information for your equipment to see if you need any updates.

Thanx again, Fotoman!

Ron V.

It's good to know which models might be susceptible to problems like this. I've used many different routers by many different manufacturers & have never seen anything like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back