Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Billyboy did it again 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hennep

Programmer
Dec 10, 2000
Today Microsoft messed up my desktop again.
Once in so many months the icons on my desktop are automatically rearranged.
I have about 60 desktop icons and I don't want those lined up sorted or whatsoever.
Does anybody know where the information is stored where icons are positioned.
I think I am going to create a program in CBuilder to backup the position of my icons, but I don't have a clue where to find this information.

I suppose you could create a program that would make a "snapshot" of the part of the registry that holds the icon's positions and saves it to a file. Then when the icons get messed up, you could put that back into the registry.

James P. Cottingham

When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity.
[tab][tab]Albert Einstein explaining his Theory of Relativity to a group of journalists.

Good idea, but do you know where to find it in the registry ?
I tried to search for one of the file names in the registry, with no success.

Don't know how to help you with the icon location part... although you could take a screenshot of the desktop and deduce the locations from the resulting bitmap.

I've had that same thing happen with my icons every once in a while, too. I think one of the things that causes it is when I run an application that takes up the whole screen or changes the resolution (usually games). That probably doesn't help you solve your problem, but it may give you insight on how to prevent it.

Hey guys,

I once had a collegue who really LEARNED MS programming.
before he left the company he donated a small prog to me, which consists of an "exe" and an "dll". which have to be instatlled /copied to the same folder.

than You have it!

so, how do we get together to post this as email? And avoid SPAM?

mail your adress to me at michNael.koOehler@bSPAMerlin.de <got it right?>

regards,

michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back