Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup using import/export

Status
Not open for further replies.

maanton

Programmer
Mar 27, 2005
I run a forum using mssql server 2005 db on an ISP server and I want to back up the database.
I use the Management Studio and I have successfully taken backup of the tables using import/export.
Is there any way to backup using import/export the rest of the db (stored procedures, functions, views, triggers etc)?

Why not just take a full database backup and back up everything at once?

You can use the SQLCMD utility to run the Backup Database command. Check the Books Online for SQL 2k5 to get more details, but the command looks pretty much the same as the 2000 T-SQL command to me.

Also, the database maintenance toolbox has a Backup Database object. I haven't played around with 2k5 enough to know if you can use it ala 2000's EM right-click -> All Tasks -> Backup Database option or if the 2k5 toolbox actually requires you to set up a regular maintenance play for backing up your db, though.

Hope that helps.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"The only stupid question is the one that *wasn't* asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back