Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

backup software

Status
Not open for further replies.

77zxmax

MIS
Dec 28, 2004
CA
I"m curious if anyone knows of a good backup software for datacentre, that we could offer for our clients.
We need to run it as a business

Any suggestions or expireence will be great
thanks

Think the key word here is datacentre, and nothing scares a customer more that hearing that the future of his company is sitting firmly with a backup application he or any of his staff ever heard of.

If you are offering this to your customers as a business, make sure that you select a product that can do EVERYTHING - don't waste resources training your local guys to support multiple backup solutions. There are lots of great backup software out there that will do everything you ask of it - in exchange for hard currency, so choosing one might be tricky.

Now there are certain advantages of matching your storage vendor with your backups solution - you'll find that you can cut through some of the red-tape and get straight to the point, so if you are using IBM storage have a keen look at TSM, EMC(&Dell)/Legato, HP/DataProtector - they will more than likely be able to assist you with this project and offer tips and tricks to deploy and scale this solution.

There are quite a few challenges involved in deploying a large solution like this and truth be told if I were in your shoes I would probably stay away from this if at all possible. If that isn's an option then I would start by looking at some of the major applications on the marked - NetBackup, Legato, TSM, CommVault etc. and see what they can offer in terms of deployment, support, training, licensing, price etc.

Once you have found a scalable piece of backup software, you'll really get into trouble - what hardware will be required? If this will be an offering to existing customers you will need a very god estimate on the number of clients involved - and in particular the amount of data in question! You don't want to offer a solution that is slow from day one, and no point in getting a silo to backup 5 servers and a mailbox.

If you plan to go on with this project keep us updated (and see if you can get more details on the amount of data you're looking at).

Best of luck,
Jesper

thanks Jesper for the respond.
In answer of the backup related to exchange server for example, what im duing is , i'm backing it up locally forst , then taking the backed up files via ftp synch program (currently using remote backup)

in terms of backup files size, it could vary from one customer to another .. could be up to 300G per customer ,,
we have enough resources in the DC , but using incremental synch is the best solution that i found so far

but i was hoping to find a software, that could customize a client version, dump it on the customer's server and off it goes

so far Remote backup is doing good for me

i'm open to more suggestin, or other's people experince

If it's Exchange with that much data then I would definately look at Ahsay. I have one customer with about 1TB backup with a mixture of MS-Exchange, MS-SQL, and standard file backups (as well as various Windows System State backups). They backup to a local backup server and then replicate to an offsite replication server for Disaster Recovery and it works very well.

Lee Mason
Optimal Projects Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back