Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Management Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

xfranc

Technical User
Nov 1, 2001
GB
Hello all,

Seeing as Legato isn't exactly the most helpful of strategies when it comes to requiring "Management" information (stats, of course), does anyone have or know about a tool that may take the back-breaking effort out of trying to discover exactly which of my 35+ clients worked, which failed and other things.

I have been unable to find anything on the supremely helpful Legato pages (sarcasm anyone ?), nor through our contract with the wonderful? MTI.

Regards,

Dan

Hi Dan

Legato offers a tool called Gems Console. Don't get this confused with the old Gems Console, it is newly released and pretty good. It does have some ways to go in reporting, but it has a killer managed events section that allows you to see all the events that need attention in your environment, and keeps successful and failed backup reports in date ordered folders for easy tracking. Look for it on their products page. If you want to see screenshots on it before talking to them, contact me at my email and I'll see if I can send them to you. However, the product's strength is really in multiple datazones. If you only have one datazone with 35 clients, this tool may be an overkill and/or not do what you need. In that case, I would suggest looking into BOM by integrity systems. I evaluated the product and found it very good.
Cheers
pt
pt_work@yahoo.com

Dan,

Are all your clients backed up under one group? If so you can have the completion report that tells you what completed and what failed in a email. I have three groups, each with several clients. I just look at the email in the morning and it tells me what succeeded. You can put your email address in the notifications, savegroup completions or any of the other notifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back