Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Exec and SDLT Library

Status
Not open for further replies.

eVoBoY

Technical User
Feb 8, 2002
GB
Hi,

I've used Backup exec for years - but am now working with an HP MSL5000 SDLT loader.

does anyone have any advice or best-practice on how best to configure backup jobs/media rotation etc. with this device and Backup Exec 9?

I'm wondering how we can handle removing a batch of tapes containing a daily full backup from the library and getting them sent offsite on a daily basis - i.e how do the ops guys know which tapes to remove - and which not to remove

I've looked into partitioning - but I'm not sure I really understand how it applies - any advice?

Evoboy

Partitioning is the best way to go for you, as you will know for sure which tapes were used for a backup.

With partitions, you assign a number of slots to a partition.
Then in the backup job setup - under device and media - you point the backup to the specific partition you have created.

For eg. you have a 5 slot library.
You create 5 partitions, one for each day.
Then you create 5 jobs for each day, and point the job to the partition you want to use for that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back