Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backup Agent error 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcirillo

IS-IT--Management
Dec 15, 2000
US
I am trying to back up exchange from a non-exchange server and am having trouble with a couple of users mail items. It seems that it cannot connect to the users folders, but only like 4 out of the 60 odd people we have working here. The error message I get is:
--> 8602: Failed to read from database. (EC = Backup Agent Error. (DBNAME = Indiviual Mailboxes\\Journal) -- (69) "Read/Write error in named pipes".
I have looked on ca's site about the error and I found something about edbutil, and after reading some articles it sounds a little much. Any help on the subject will be appreciated.
Thanks,
--->mikeyc

Did you ever resolve this problem? I have a mailbox that just started doing this same thing.
Thanks

Resolved my own problem by stopping and restarting the Exchange services.

I did the same thing and it worked, for now at least until ARCServe decides to go back to its old self and not work.

I posted a msg earlier but it never showed..so if there are 2 replies to this...Sorry hehe... I had a similar problem the other day in regards to this...it turned out to be a couple of problematic System administrator "undeliverable" msgs in someones inbox, for some reason it would crash the brick-level backup. You might try opening the users journal and deleting any suspicious entries.

We had a problem with this as well courtesy of the "Worlds most overpriced and totally useless antivirus software"- NA's McAfee groupsheild/netshield products.

Their stupidity knows no boundaries as the newer versions of groupshield will cause relentless "read write error in named pipes", etc, etc when we attempt to backup an exchange 5.5 sp4 server with Arcserve 6.61 or AS 2000.

The problem is from an API that the newer groupsheild uses which also conveniently causes the user's mailbox name that got the virus to be omitted on virus alerts. Crapware at its best.

The only solution was to go to an older version of groupshield with less functionality or stop the McAfee services during the backup. (or the best option, remove the useless crapware from the servers and bite the bullet for more $$$ and use another AV prog.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back