Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up Global Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandy34

MIS
Nov 11, 2005
US
Hello,
I'll be replacing a failed hard drive on a raid 5 setup (Server 2003). I've seen one of these go bad before and that was just really ugly.
I'm trying to cover all of the bases just in case. I've created system state backups (Backup Exev 10d) and will be Ghosting the C drive but can't find a good way to backup the GC that would allow me to restore it if the RAID bites the dust. I'm sure there's a utility in there somewhere but can't find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,

Sam

Backing up a GC is no different than backing up any other DC. The attribute that is set indicating that the server is a GC is in the same AD database that is replicated.

I think that the GC gets backed up with the system state, but that's not really an issue since you can designate additional GCs in your environment. In fact, if your problem machine is a DC, then doing a restore of AD could cause additional problems.

If all you are doing is replacing a failed drive in the array then you shouldn't have any problems that require a restore, as long as you pull the correct drive. If you pull a good drive, then you will cause the array to fail and may have issues getting it back up, even if you replace the drive. So make absolutely sure that you know which drive is dead, then replace it.

Ok, three questions. Before I ask them and look really dumb I have to say my background is almost completely Novell and I've been having learn the hard way about Windows. (School is next month, finally).
First, what's the name of the utility for the backup. Second, will it preserve the SIDs?
Third, How can I designate an additional GC? Is that like making the old BDC?
I have the right drive and am just being overly cautious.
Thanks for the tips.

Sam

Ntbackup is the tool for backup/restoring. You need to backup the system state to get all the Active Directory.

How to create or move a global catalog in Windows Server 2003

This might also help

Paul
MCSE

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
Albert Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back