Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Backing up domino server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortan

Programmer
Jul 13, 2002
CZ
Hi,
I would like to know, if it is possible to backup domino databases and necessary files while domino is running.
I have read, that if you do not use transaction logging then a transaction is marked as committed when the data are stored to the disk. So it looks that there is no need to shutdown the server while backing up (if the backingup utility can backup open files), because all the data should be written to the disk .

But I'm not sure if this is really true. Any practical experience?

PS: I don't want to use transaction logging because I don't want to pay for a third-party backup utility. Or, is there any backup utility for free? (for Linux RedHat).

Thanks a lot for you help
Mortan

Your options are to use products such as Backup Exec or Arcserve with either the Domino options or open files options. This will allow you to backup your Domino servers without having to stop them first. I am assuming you are running Domino on NT/2000. If you are running it on AS/400,etc then you will need suitable products for those platforms, such as TSM for AS/400.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back