Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ASR Server Restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

John0616

Technical User
Dec 15, 2007
US
We have an HP ML350 G5 server running server 2003 enterprise. Recently the machine has been restarting periodically. There is no error noted in the windows logs that indicate any kind of failure. The only thing I can find relating to the cause is in the HP log which says that ASR has restarted the machine. Is there a way to determine what is tripping the ASR?

One of the things that ASR will reboot on is if it can't communicate with the OS agent for an extended period. It basically sees the server as completely hung and kills it.

Try capturing perfmon logs and see if CPU for instance is getting hammered for an extended period when server restarts.

Neill

I believe there is a setting on whether or not to reboot after a critical error. I can't remember where I saw it, though. Check in the BIOS and the System Management Homepage.

If you have the opportunity to watch the server (or monitor it for availability), you can turn off the ASR feature and see what the BSOD has to say. It may give you something to persue.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thank-you for the responses so far. I have a kind of dumb (possibly) question, but is there any kind of log that ASR keeps so one can see what tripped it?

And one more dumb question:
How do I capture the perfmon logs?

As far as disabling ASR to and waiting for BSOD, I am pretty certain that the machine does not actually blue screen. I have been sitting at my desk and it just randomly restarts--unless ASR is detecting the blue screen before I see it?

I don't think there is a way to log the ASR. As far as I know, it's a critical error that forces the reboot. At that point the server would be unresponsive and unable to write anything to disk.

Regarding the BSOD, I was using that as a general reference meaning the server has experienced a critical error and should display some type of message to that affect. It may or may not be a blue screen.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Go to Admin Tools then Performance then Counter Logs.

You'll need the Memory -Pages/Sec, Processor - %Processor and Physical Disk - Avg. Disk Queue Length as a starter.
Set it to sample every 5 minutes or so.

Neill

I had a similar issue to this. Do you get the following entry in the iLO log. “BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer Timeout: Action=System Power Reset.“
If so try updating to the latest iLO firmware and iLO management controller driver.

I actually had seen the iLO suggestion elsewhere about a week and a half ago and have tried this solution. So far so good, but I want to give this a little more time to see if it holds up.

Thank-you so much for all the great suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back