Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Asks for password!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkdcomp

Instructor
Jan 29, 2002
US
I'll try and keep this short.

Have 2 computers connected through a LinkSys wired router. One had WinMe and the other Win98. The Win98 computer is my knock-a-round beta machine.

I could connect to the WinMe OK from the Win98 to transfer files etc.

I just upgraded the WinMe computer to WinXP Professional with no problems. Can connect to the old Win98 computer OK and mapped it as a Z drive.

But now when I go to Network Places and try and access the WinXP computer from the Win98 computer it asks me for a "Newtwork Password" where it never did before.

It comes up with - Resource: \\CX597943-A\\IPC$ and then a field to enter the password.

CX597943-A is the name of the WinXP computer.

I don't remember ever setting any passwords. If I did I always use a variation of one password and have tried every combination and it still asks for a password.

Any suggestions on getting past this.

Thanks,

Richard in Tulsa

The difference between Win9x (which includes ME) and WinXP is that XP requires username/passwd to login/connect.
So, to map from Win98 to WinXP, you need to sync username and passwd between WinXP and Win98.
You can change username that you use on 98 - click START, then "Log off ..." and relogin with the username/passwd you use on XP, or take that username from the "Log off" line above and create a new user account on XP with the same passwd (most likely - blank, if it does not ask you to login).

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back