Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Application Desktop Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

pungy

Instructor
Aug 5, 2007
US
OS= Windows XP Professional SP2; VB6 Enterprise Edition; Crystal Reports XI Developers Edition

To create an Installation CD, I use the Package and Deployment Wizard supplied with Visual Basic.

Many other applications that I have installed on my system will ask the installer if they want to create a Desktop and/or systray icon associated with the application they are installing.

Is there a way to have that capability using the Package and Deployment Wizard? If not, is there any way to do it without buying an expensive Installation package?

Thanks,
Sam

Can't you just set the icon property of your main form?

What is it that you want to do that the above won't accomplish?

>Is there a way to have that capability using the Package and Deployment Wizard?

Not without some reprogramming (the P&D Wizard is a VB program, and you'll find the source code under Wizards\PDWizard in your VB folder)

>and/or systray

Actually, they generally ask about Desktop, Start Menu and QuickLaunch

>is there any way to do it without buying an expensive Installation package?

There are free MSI creation tools (e.g Microsoft's own Visual Studio Installer. Version 1.1 is freely downloadable here if you have any legit, licensed Visual Studio ^ tool (e.g. VB6 :) ) with documentation here) or perhaps However not all of them provide the features you are enquiring about.

I'm sure someone else will be along in a moment with a recommendation ...

Inno Setup used to be free, and it makes it very easy to do everything. It writes scripts.

-David
2006 & 2007 Microsoft Most Valuable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back