Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Alternative to ArcServe

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAP

Programmer
May 8, 2000
GB
Does anyone know of an alternative product to ArcServe, ie. one that is operator-friendly, and actually does the job rather than coming up with excuses why it can't?

ArcServe is not as bad as you think, but try Veritas BackUp Exec, I just installed a demo, and it installed easily, found the oddball drive I was using, and easily configured to run a back-up. Seems to be a pretty good product.

I have always installed, configured, and used Arcserve and providing it is configured correctly it works ok. At my current contract, we run Arcserve v7 on about 60 NetWare 5.1 Sp5 servers and barring the odd problemette, all servers are backing up successfully. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I've used BackupExec v8.0 many times on Netware 4 and 5 servers. Simple to install from the console or a workstation, and equally simple to use, again from the console or a workstation for restores.

I regularly use it to backup whole servers prior to rebuilding them, and have used it to resore data to new servers with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back