Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Aloha BOH setup 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhauser87

Vendor
Mar 8, 2013
US
Long story short I have an aloha POS that I've been sitting on for a little while now, id like to get it going to replace my old school 80s registers and get rid of hand written tickets. I have fairly decent knowledge of alohas workings from correcting issues at my other store, terminal replacements, HDD failures, printers, etc. What I've yet to do is setup a BOH server, the tower that came with the terminals suffered a HDD failure, so i'll need to set it up.

I have the most important piece, hasp dongle licensed for 7 terminals, ill be running XP on the server (no plans or need for credit cards), server and 2 terminals won't ever see the inet. I have the aloha 6.3.xx 3disc set but didn't see much in way of BOH setup. Am I missing something \???

First off there is no version 6.3.xx
You should install windows 7 32 bit just for updates, and security should you need remote support.
There are many little things that need to be set correctly for Aloha to work.
If you have the 5.3 cd then you want to run Advanced.exe to start the installation. If you don't have a database to start with you will end up having no emp number to log into aloha with.

I suggest you reach out to someone with experience installing the software.

AlohaRoss

Being up for 20 hours did not help me explain anything very well. I actually have 6.1.12 discs, i do not plan on having this network wired to the internet, hence not wanting to go the extra step. Why? This is the area I fell short in explaining.

I'm a partner in a cash only nightclub that's Open 10 hours a week (location in question), we use aloha at another location and concept that accepts CCs.
Secondly, I strongly dislike our aloha dealer, NCR, SCR, or whatever they call themselves. I refuse to deal with them. I Really wish there was another option as aloha itself we do like. But before our dealer ever gets another dollar from me I'll start burning money.

Anyways, back to the task at hand. I can't alt-x into a new install??

I have a couple 6 version keys myself I've been sitting on also, but mostly 5.3 because it's not within PCI compliance. I agree with Ross. This isn't something you can just step into without the knowledge or support to guide you. Especially when Aloha bugs out on something, and it will, I promise you. A lot of people dislike the dealer, it's why guys like Ross and I exist, we're dinosaurs of our kind. They also have 50 employees, and the overhead of a large building to support them. We can run with pretty low overhead, remotely with phone LTE/wi-fi, and laptop. However, we do have our limitations as far as licensing goes.

posignite.com

I did mean it to be more complimentary, but I'm pretty sure you know that. I never had to work on less than 4.0, but I do remember the days of having to keep the application open.

posignite.com

I will be reaching out to you in the near future (store 1 and store 3 need a support guy ) I'm glad to know there are 3rd party support options. Being in business I understand everyone needs to make money , the value of tech support, and I also understand since I'm somewhat of a geek at heart the wide skill set needed to even think about working on these systems. My biggest level of frustration with the dealer comes from them trying to force unwanted or needed add on services and not listening to what my business needs. They've seemed to grow out of caring about smaller stores and prefer the one size fits all. My last attempt to deal with them was me asking about online ordering and ended with them trying to sell me pulse real time and telling me all my hardware is out dated.

I did manage to get AM setup on the boh server with my license and hasp dongle. I'm planning on copying my dbf files from other store so I have a known login to work off of. I have two p15xx that had hdd failures and are in need of OS installs. That'll be my next feat.

Depending on what P15XX you have will decide what OS you can put on them. The 1510 is limited by the motherboard to 512 memory, the 1515 originally came with 2 gig udoc, the 1520 should have a harddrive. I have ghost images for all of them if you know how to use ghost.

AlohaRoss

This is for AlohaRoss,
I am needing some serious help. I have not been dealing with Aloha Radiant for every long. In fact I just did my first install about two weeks ago. I work for a POS company and we are using them for Fuel stations and c-stores. Currently I have a Demo setup in the office and the RPOS will not load on the register. I had it hooked up at one point and time and was running beautifully I took it apart and took it with me in case I needed the extra parts (which I didn't use), When I brought it back it will not load. I have made sure that all the naming conventions are correct and I can connect to the register just wont load the RPOS. Any suggestions. Thanks

they're both 1550s, both have are getting 80 gig harddrives. I have some ddr sticks i'll probably throw in as well. I never understood the many versions of the p15, only that some are prone to power supply failures and crap motherboard caps.

Stable P15XX are the 1515. I end up taking the udoc out, adding a male to female sata cable and put in a 2.5" 16gig SSDrive. They become very fast for a $25 investment. I am a big fan of the final release of the P1220 with 800mz processor. I pull the udoc from those as well and replace with high speed compact flash card. Bump the memory to 2gig and you have a very quiet and super fast machine. They can be easily mounted on a wall. The only issue is how dated they look. They can also be found all over the net for a very good price.

AlohaRoss

spelled like Aloha but NCR won't let me use Aloha in my domain anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back