Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding memory to Asus P4S533

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cijebi

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I currently have an Asus P4S533 motherboard with two Samsung 256 DDR (PC2700) installed. I want to add additional memory but I'm confused as to what I can add. The mobo manual states "Only 4 banks of PC2700 are supported". Does this mean I am limited to using only 2 of the existing 3 memory slots (if using PC2700) or can I add an additional 256 DDR (PC2700) in this third slot? I had this computer built and this is the first time I try to add additional memory. I've been all over the Asus site and can find no explanation of what 4 banks being supported means. Thanks to anyone who can help!

so you say that you have five slots, two are occupied with 256 pc2700 and three free, and your manual says you can only have four accupied at a time? if so then this is probably the way it is, and the fifth can only be used if you use slower ram or such. for example i have seen many mobos supporting both rdram and ddr sdram and usually if you use rdram it supports less ram and such. so u can count on faster ram having less support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back