Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding 2003 server to 2000 DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanX

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a 2000 domain controller with a 2003 server as a domain member. They have full communication and everything works well, but I want to get the 2003 server to be a Backup DC and eventually phase out the 2000 box.

When I DCPromo'd the 2003 box it worked as you would expect, except nothing could connect to it anymore. Here is what I did step by step:

[ul][li]2000 Server SP4 is original DC, working fine with built in DNS set to AD Integration.[/li]
[li]2003 Server SP1 added as domain Member months ago, been working fine. It is set as a backup DNS server, replication is working fine.[/li]

[li]I copied the 2003 i386 folder off the original CD to the W2K box and ran the two commands that need to be done (adprep /forestprep and adprep /domainprep), and everything went just fine.[/li]
[li]I then was able to run DCPROMO on the 2003 box and add it as a Backup DC. The wizard went well and it was added. Active Directory replicated fine, all the user accounts were there.[/li]
[li]The 2003 box showed up as a DC in 2000's directory.[/li]
[li]Heres the problem...no computers in the domain (Including the PDC) can connect to the 2003 box! All login attempts give an account error.[/li]
[li]The 2003 box can login to the domain from both the local keyboard and through remote desktop.[/li]
[/ul]
I can't figure out what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back