Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Add / Remove Programs !?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fxcolin

Technical User
Oct 14, 2001
CA
Okay,
So I'm helping a friend optimize his PC
I'm trying to remove Norton.
When I do so, it tells me "the uninstall file is/may be corrupted, uninstall will not be continued."
Another program tells me that the uninstall file cannot be found.

QUESTION:
So what shall I do? Should I just go into C:/Program Files/Norton and just manually delete it? -Is that safe?

ALSO:
I have noticed that there are a couple of other programs listed in 'Add/Remove Programs' that have already been uninstalled!... So, why is it still listed in there and how do i get it out of there ??

Thanx in advance.

hi,
U should remove the folder in the c:\program files\...
then also remove from registery.
type "regedit in run". Then find norton then remove each key or data u fined with reletive software.
Use registery carefully.

Just a reminder.......

MAKE SURE THAT YOU BACKUP THE REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING ANY CHANGES!

I would delete nortan manually don't worry about the registy it won't hurt anything having a couple of extra entrys in it. And also download "Magic Registy" and you can remove the programs from the add/Remove dialog that aren't there any more or Download "Xteq Setup" if you can't find Magic Registy. DavidDude00@Daw Corp, 1999-2002
%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back