Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

9608 VPN problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbozttu

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2015
US
Hello all, just using VPN feature for the first time, have 3 users that need phones at their homes. All 9608 phones

I tested from my house (uverse) and it worked great

One of the users works perfect. This gives me confidence that the VPN itself is configured properly, obviously lol

The other two users get connected, log in to their extensions, and everything looks great. You can make test calls and it works great, the problem is when ending a call, the phone doesn't end the call. You can hit drop or just hang up, it's just like the phone won't let the call go. System status thinks the call is ended, the party on the other end is fine, but the VPN phone gets stuck, for lack of a better way of saying it. You can't start a new call on a different line or anything. You can get into the craft menu. Eventually the phone will restart and when it does, often times it doesn't want to work when it comes back up, it will show "discover x.x.x.x"

Has anyone seen this issue before?? Thanks in advance

It is a keep alive problem in the VPN setup.
IP Office and Phone interchange keep alive packets so the gatekeeper (IP Office) knows the phone is still there and a cal is still ongoing.
Appearently at the end of the call IP Office does get a disconnect message from the phone but the phone does not get a release confirmation from IP Office so the phone keeps the phone busy and for some reason there is no data interchange anymore between IP Office and the phone.
If the phone works then leave it alone for at least three minutes and then lift the handset, do you get dial tone? What happens if you put back the handset?
If all seems normal then make a call and keep it going for at least three minutes, does the call disconnect at the far end within three minutes?
If not disconnect using the drop button on the phone and see what happens. If yes then the keep alive packets from IP Office or the ACK messages from the phone are blocked.
Meanwhile make a monitor trace and a wireshark trace on both sides.

Intrigant, thank you for replying... My plan tonight is to rebuild the VPN totally and start all over.

The thing I don't get is, if the VPN had a config issue, why does it work from my house and one users house but not the other two?

I guess what I keep thinking back to is, could it be something with those two users ISP's firewall at their home?

Hello,

So I reconfigured the entire VPN from scratch, and all appeared to be working fine. The issue before with not ending calls went away. However, my users frequently have to reboot their phones because they will get "Discover x.x.x.x" - reboot and it comes back up fine.

It's incredibly frustrating because we had a hosted PBX before and they all had remote phones that worked fine 24/7. Any tips on how I can isolate what is causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back