Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

8648GBRS Blade 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZachBenj

Technical User
May 23, 2001
US
Does the 8648GBRS SFP Fiber blade work on 4.1 code?

I am also looking to take my 8600's to R-Mode. I am going to need to use CWDM modules to connect to a chassis 11miles a way. I will need 2 per chassis. Should I get all the same frequency for all connections or should I get 4 pair of different frequencies?

My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my knowledge.
Scott
stomlin@baptistfirst.org

You'll need to be running 5.0 software on the ERS 8600 in order to utilize a 8648GBRS card. You'll also need to make sure your switch will support 5.0 before you just go and upgrade it. No 8690SF, and the 8691SF/8692FS needs to have 256MB RAM. Any older non-E modules will need to be replaced prior to upgrading.

It's my understanding (from Nortel) that you can use the CWDM GBICs/SFPs for any distances that are between LX and XD. Ofcourse both ends of the connection need to be using the same wavelength be it a GBIC or SFP.

Cheers!

Note that if you put a "RS" blade in a chassis it also requires High Speed Fan Trays (8006CHMS or 8010CHMS, depending on the chassis) due to higher cooling requirements for these blades. Per the 5.0 release notes, the RS blade won't even power up unless you have these trays in the chassis (although I believe there is a flag you can set to bypass), but I'm betting all warranty bets are off if you run very long this way.

For v. 5.0 it is also advised to upgrade the PCMCIA to 512MB.

For CWDM you must use one color / connection.
In your setup you need two O-MUXes (4 or 8 ports/colors), one on each site and use two ports/colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back