Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

550 relaying error

Status
Not open for further replies.

colobean

Technical User
Dec 16, 2003
Hi there,

My mum was just set up with a new internet provider in order to get high speed. Everything works properly except for forwarding messages to her friends. She is able to send and recieve email and forward messages with an attachment but it does not seem to let her forward emails that have a just a plain message. It says one or more messages can not be sent - 550 relaying mail.

How can I fix this for her?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks!
Stephanie

Make sure her mail client has the correct settings for her new ISP. Most ISP's won't let you specify someone elses server to send mail. (spam you know)

The answer is "42"

Thanks for getting back so quickly. How do I check the mail client?

That will depend on which one your mom is using. If she has windows it's probably outlook express but she could be using thunderbird instead. Ask her to launch the mail program and check the help file. Also I have had very good luck talking to tech suppot at the ISPs I have been associated with. That's where I would start.

The answer is "42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back