Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

50 Pair CAT3

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejack84

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2010
US
Just recently bought 50 pair CAT3 cable for a telephony project and need to terminate each end. I cut the cable open and I can't tell where the pairs are. Up until now I have only used as high as 25 pair cables. Can anyone lead me in the right direction? I tried Google to no avail.

Thanks!

Strip the outer sheath back a bit like 2 or 3 feet ant you will find one set of 25 will have blue and white binders (string or plastic ribbon) around them and the next 25 will have white and orange binders.

If you strip it too short the pairs fall apart from the binders before you can separate them.

Hopefully you will have binder tape or thread in that cable. Should be blue/white and orange/white that wrap around each 25pr.
If that is the case, it should be fairly simple.

rt12

Ahh, I wasn't pulling it back far enough. I will check that out. Also, turns out the cable is direct burial cable and the outer shell is mega thick. Can we still use it indoors?

I see what you mean by Icky Pick! I don't know that I can complain at 40 cents per foot though.

Legally you cannot use it indoors.
It is not fire rated for indoor use.
If there is a fire and somebody dies or injured by smoke inhalation it will cost you a lot more than the correct PVC or plenum rated cable.

Thanks for the info! I guess I will have to return this and get plenum cable.

unles you were told otherwise you only need plenum cable if you are in a plenum ceiling!!regular pvc cmr will do !

Before you return the cable, you might want to check the manufacturer's rating on the cable for specific uses and where. Since it needs protectors and a bond on the shield, normally this is terminated at the building entrance or MPOE location. Then, you would extend the cable with the appropriate type if this does not meet the requirements to do so... Unless of course it is enclosed in conduit, but you can check the NEC article 800 and related sections for more info.

By the way, ITW Linx makes a 25-pair protector for this purpose with different modules available for circuit type per pair.

....JIM....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back