Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 System I-Button

Status
Not open for further replies.

voipneerd

Vendor
Mar 12, 2012
SA
Hi
Is there another place to purchase the 3300 System I-Button? instead of Mitel

its the hardware lock for the license so if you get one thats assigned to a license then you will need access in the amc to release it.
if you dont know who it belongs to you wont be able to apply your license to it.

If I never did anything I'd never done before , I'd never do anything.....

Hi Billz66
Thanks for your reply
Yes, I know that. but I'm looking to buy a new one but not from Mitel. can I find it on eBay or amazon?

It might help if you shared what you're trying to do with this i-button, and why you specifically wish to buy it from somewhere other than Mitel.

If you were to find a 3300 i-button on eBay or Amazon and put it into a 3300, it's not going to result in a functioning system. Not without Mitel having record of you being a business partner credentialed to sell the MiVoice Business product line, and their system also showing you purchased the i-button from Mitel in addition to purchasing licenses from Mitel and then applying them to that particular i-buttons serial number.

Mitel has gone to great lengths ensure everything happens through their network of business partners, and additionally that those business partners only source things direct from Mitel. Everything has been structured so that Mitel is always in control of the lifecycle of the equipment. They could decide tomorrow to pull the plug on the AMC servers and by early March 95% of 3300s around the world would stop processing calls and become bricks.

I've never run across one sourced from anywhere but Mitel. I'm sure you can buy them elsewhere, but I have no idea if it would actually work. Theoretically it should, as it just spits out a hardware ID and reports it to the controller. However, I wouldn't be surprised if on the Mitel AMC end there was some sort of filter applied to check that hardware ID against a list of some sort to weed out unauthorized system activations. I have no idea if such a thing is in place, and Mitel certainly isn't going to tell anyone if it is.

as most of our customer have migrated to virtual systems , i might have one in our store ( i think brand new in the box)
is it the price thats an issue with purchasing from mitel ?

A new i-button won't help you unless you have access to the AMC. My assumption is that you don't have access and your option is to engage a Mitel dealer.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just not going to suppose very hard.

wow if thats the same item thats a big price difference - pretty sure it was around $350 AU in CPQ

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your responses. A special thanks to jpruder for providing the link. I plan to place an order based on that and will share my feedback once I've tried it out.

Also, nytalkin, I appreciate your consistent engagement with all my posts. However, unless you have a different suggestion than finding a Mitel partner, I would prefer if you refrain from repeating that advice. This forum is meant for mutual support, and while I understand the value of a partner, I am not looking to pay $350 for items that I previously purchased on eBay for $20.
Thanks

it may be that mitel restrict access to a specific list of hardware ids

even if they don't you may need a mitel partner that has access to the ARID to release it for you
thats what nytalkin is probably trying to get across to you ( on here we don't normally try and push you somewhere unless we think that may be the best/only option)

releasing the licensing ( link between the ARID and the previous I Button)requires access to the ARID and that is only available to the current partner that holds the account.

As an FYI I have tried one of these that were linked from jrpuder a few years ago. It registered on the AMC fine and licensed the system.

As it was new there was no risk of the ID being used by a previous system. I did not put it in to production but it appeared to work fine.

@Billz66
Yes it's a huge price difference, same as the RAM when trying to upgrade to 512MB back in the day. I also sourced some generic SODIMM's that worked fine.

If you have access to the AMC you can use any i-button by simply clearing the hardware id and sync the new ibutton with the ARID.

I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just not going to suppose very hard.

The problem is that if you try and use an i-button that is in use on a customers system that you don't manage, you can't clear it.

e.g. If you buy a system from eBay, you won't be able to use the i-button because it will be locked to an existing ARID.

@voipnerd

I see your response to nytalkin and I feel the need to comment. This forum and website for that matter has a lot of expertise and everyone who participates is a volunteer. If someone provides you with advice that doesn't fit your needs, you are best served by taking it in the spirit it was given and moving on. As an example, I rarely, if ever, pay attention to who I am responding to and as such can easily give the same advice several times over if the situation warrants it. To chastise a responder as you have done is, well, not appreciated to say the least. I have in fact noted your user name and will definitely be weighing the value of helping you in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back