Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

24 hr- (2 shift) Resource Sheet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SloopJohnB1

Technical User
Jun 18, 2009
NZ
On a 2 shift project (2 x 12 hr shifts per day) what are the numbers of resources do I need to input as the "max units"
I have the following numbers per shift:
7 fitters
17 pressure welders
6 welders
10 riggers
10 labourers

Are these the correct "max units" I use or do I need to double up for the second shift?

Based on my understanding, you have a total of 14 fitters (7 per shift); 34 pressure welders (17 per shift), etc.

I still need a bit more clarification, though.

With those 14 fitters, do you assign them as a team (7 fitters) to a task? Or do you assign one fitter to one task, three fitters to a second task, two fitters to a third task, etc.?

Do you use your tracking within Project as a data driver into, for example, a payroll or internal charging process?

Finally, do you have fitters on shift1 for, say, three weeks before they rotate to shift2 (and, of course, at the same time do the shift2 works rotate to shift1)?

Thanks
You are correct I have 14 fitters (7 per shift)etc etc.

They have been assign different tasks for each shift such as working in groups of 2's and 3's.

No it is not data driver.

It is a double shift 8 week shutdown and the resources are ether on day or night shift for the duration of the shutdown.

My original question was, do I need to double up the number of resources so it reflects that there are a total of 14 fitters working during the 24 hour period.
Does MS Project automatically doubles the number for both shifts?

Since you're assigning the resources by ones and twos ... you should have each Fitter, each Welder, etc., as a unique resource. So you'll have 14 Fitter resources, 34 Welder resources, etc.

You might want to consider using a "sort of" generic resource: Fitter01, Fitter02, etc. And then, on a day-by-day basis assign specific resources (Bob, Mary, etc.) to the day's work.

I don't think Project will automagically double-up for the second shift the way you would like ... you'll have to juggle that by yourself.

I've never had to do a schedule like this but I think you'll have to mess about, a bit, so that each resource has either a day- or a night-shift calendar while each task has a 24-hour calendar (assuming that work on any given task can take place at any time during the day or night).

You'll (possibly) have issues where, for example, you have a task that takes 30 hours and you want to assign a day-fitter to start (for 12 hours), a night-fitter to continue (for 12 hours) and then a day-fitter (for 6 hours) to finish up.

I suspect (but as I said, I've never had to do a schedule like this) that you'll have to do more than a little "tweaking" to get everything aligned.

(Frankly, I wish I could stand there looking over your shoulder just to see what you have to do to get things to work out. It'd be a nice education for me. All the best to you.)

MSP does not have a "shift" feature (unlike other tools such as Primavera), so shifts are a workaround that can be setup in different ways:

1. Using two "shift" calendars
2. Using two independent projects
3. Using two projects and a resource pool

Questions:
1. Which of the above workarounds are you using?
2. What do you do at the end of the 8-week period, ie, reuse or create new?

Just curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back