Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2 server can be connected??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlvic

MIS
Jun 15, 2017
AE
Hello,

I'm just new on windows server.
Currently my new company have Domain Controller which is ip 192.168.1.105 for example and another windows server 192.168.1.5.

But currently they are using 192.168.1.5 for file server etc. I just want to know what is the use of 192.168.1.105(Domain Controller)

I try to change passwords to 192.168.1.105 but didn't effect the 192.168.1.5

Anyone can help me to clarify this? I just new on windows server.

Thanks!

So if I understand the question correctly, you're wondering what the Domain Controller is needed for:

The Domain Controller on 192.138.1.105 is the server that maintains all the user logons on your network. When a user logs onto their computer, their computer checks in with the Domain Controller to see if their credentials are valid and correct. When you have new users come to the company, this is where their account is setup and stored.

Your File Server is a separate server that I'm assuming has file shares setup for the company to access. Both are very important servers to have but they should be independent. You wouldn't want to put all your eggs in one basket because if you had a hardware failure, you could loose everything. You could also setup your File Server as a Secondary (or backup) Domain Controller which is nice if your Primary went down or exploded.

I hope this sort of helps. Did that answer what you were looking for?

Thank you I check my domain server it showing our domain name we use from email and website . Meaning this domain controller also support our Domain name thru web??

Yes I check it thank you! and one more thing i want to backup my file sever to open use automatically this is one is also possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back