I’ve built successful Access apps for years, but this one is throwing more errors than all my previous projects combined and it’s still in User Acceptance Testing. I’m looking for any and all angles to explore with this.
App is built and maintained in Access 2007 on Windows Vista home premium but users are running on Access 2010 and Windows 7 (they upgraded mid-development). Typical front end app linked to back end tables with a couple local tables in front end that don’t update or need sharing. Front end has forms, subforms, queries and modules. Multiple users each run their local front end on their laptop or tablet while connected wirelessly to the back end living on a network share.
Problem: Front end users “randomly” get errors (which I trap) and lose functionality and report entering one value but later seeing a different value in its place. None of this can be replicated on demand and none of the functionality consistently throws these errors. It all works 99% of the time and so far we can’t identify a pattern with the other 1%.
I’ve been thru the code a dozen times, and of course can’t rule that out but the inconsistency points to environment rather than coding issues. What type of environment questions should I be asking the IT staff to see if we can rule that in or out? Users are required to lock their machines when they step away; could this induce a state that could cause corruption or connectivity issues? Is there any type of network activity/maintenance that could be impacting the backend database? One user has been running the app in ‘Read-Only’ mode (I just found this out) which I fear may impact her results, but could this be affecting the backend as well in some way? Other users running normally are also having issues.
I know this is vague, but going into all the details will take pages so if you have specific questions ask away and we can start there. Many thanks,