I figured a great way to make my crosstab report work. It didn't require any code, any changes to my tables. It was only a change to my crosstab query.
Steps are below:
1. I went back to my crosstab query, and in the QBE grid, I right-clicked on the area where you put tables and queries. The query shortcut properties came up, and there is a option under those properties called column headings. So I added the possible column headings for the value items that would show up in my crosstab.
2. Saved my query, and recreated my report.
3. I removed all code, although I like writing code, this was way to difficult to manage with code.
4. It allowed me to have all of the columns that I need for my report. (the other beautiful thing about this was it's still dynamic). If the data isn't there it doesn't show it, and if it is, it does put it in the report.
5. This made totalling my columns so simple.
6. The other thing that it did was stopped the inconsistency that I was experiencing in my report. Sometimes the code would leave off records or leave off headings.
I know it's not quite as cool as being able to hide column headers when there is no data, but it gets the job done for what I needed. It may be a pain for those who have reports with several columns.
Thanks for responding to my thread.