Running Peachtree premium 2009 - database server has been an XP machine for the past 4-5 years, and two others (including myself) access it with Vista machines. About 10 days ago, I ran an year-end wizard since our fiscal year ended 8/31. I ran year-end on 8/25 - it ran smoothly, and I was able to access ptree with no problems on 8/26 and 27th. I then left town for 10 days, having just got back this morning - and got the error listed in subject line.
I looked for solutions online - including here - here's what I know:
* w3dbsmgr.exe is running.
* It is running as "service" per help/customer support/startup options
* I ran sas.exe - no firewalls up and running.
* Not aware of any new windows xp updates on server.
So the year end wizard could not have caused any issues, since I was able to access the system the next two days.
No new firewalls - I even shut down Norton, even though I haven't changed it since back before when everything was kosher.
The other user said he couldn't access peachtree either all of a sudden last week. He gets the same error message.
I have a few more pieces of information as I've been searching archives and wherever to find a solution. The issue has to be with server - as the two workstations that were able to connect to peachtree on the server can't anymore.
From my laptop (workstation), I pinged the server and got an acceptable response and got an IP address of the server being 22.214.171.124.
That address doesn't look right - we're using a wireless linksys server - all IP addresses used are 192.168.1.XXX.
So I went out to my status program for the linksys router - and yes, all addresses are that 192.168.etc.
So I went to server and ran IPCONFIG. Sure enough, it came back with 192.168.1.XXX as noted in status program for linksys. So where's this 204.232 IP address coming from?
w3dbsmgr.exe is running on server. It's not on my laptop. My understanding is that it should be. When I double-click on it and watch in task manager processes - it shows it fires up and then immediately closes.
I have no firewalls - I ran sas.exe - it says windows defender is present but "uncertain" whether it's running - I double-checked - its turned off.
The ppa160.ini file on my workstation does show datapath to be to z: which is the mapped drive straight into peachtree on the server as it always has been. I double checked to make sure that mapping is still correct and it is.
hosts.txt file has correct setting - 127.0.0.1
I re-installed peachtree on this workstation - didn't change a thing - still get original error message.
I'm wondering about the difference in IP addresses on server. I still can't access peachtree from workstations - even thought about doing a rollback of the server's system, but not sure if that's a good idea or not.