INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS
Come Join Us!
Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips now!
- Talk With Other Members
- Be Notified Of Responses
To Your Posts
- Keyword Search
- One-Click Access To Your
- Automated Signatures
On Your Posts
- Best Of All, It's Free!
*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.
Partner With Us!
"Best Of Breed" Forums Add Stickiness To Your Site
(Download This Button Today!)
"...you guys have given us a way of asking a question and getting some very timely feedback from other users so we don't have to re-invent the wheel time and again..."
Where in the world do Tek-Tips members come from?
How Do You Set Up Unified Msg on Partner Messaging?
Posted: 28 Nov 10
Unified Messaging is compatible with WinXP Pro [Service Pack 3] or Win 2000. Here are set up tips for Win XP Pro from Avaya.
PARTNER ACS Technical Tip
Tip no: xx
Release Date: xx
Region: North America
Configuring Unified Messaging Application (UMA) on XP Professional SP3 for SMTP Email Forwarding
This document details how to configure and troubleshoot the Unified Messaging Application for email forwarding via SMTP. This is intended to be used in addition to existing product documentation.
PARTNER Messaging Prerequisite
Configure a PARTNER Messaging 7 (PM7) module so that extensions can leave and retrieve voicemails (Refer to PARTNER Messaging documentation: http://support.avaya.com/japple/css/japple?PAGE=Product&temp.productID=107773).
In this example we will use Extension 10 as the extension configured to use UMA SMTP email forwarding.
Topology of test environment
The following is the IP Address and domain information used throughout the document:
XP UMA PC 192.168.42.98
DNS server 192.168.42.249
3rd party SMTP server ADEX2003.test.avaya.com
The UMA install
1. Run the UMA installer on the PC (XP in this example).
2. At the Account Information install screen enter the domain name -- e.g. test.avaya.com
3. Enter the account name. This example uses account 'Administrator' (any user with rights on the PC to run a service can be used).
4. Enter the account password.
5. The information in the Account Information install screen can be changed after install if required by opening the properties of the UMA service in Services from Control Panel.
6. Follow the remaining installation wizard instructions to complete the install.
Additional steps to take if Windows Firewall is enabled
1. Open Windows Firewall from Control Panel.
2. If the firewall is enabled (this is usually default) then click on the Exceptions tab.
3. Click on "Add Port".
4. Enter a name.
5. Enter 5002 into the port field.
6. Select TCP.
7. Click OK.
8. This should allow the PM7 module and UMA service to communicate.
9. The 'dropped packets' logging facility from the Windows firewall "Advanced" tab can be used if you communications issues persist. This will indicate what ports are being blocked and then you can add to the exceptions list if required.
PARTNER Messaging configuration
1. Open the PM7 Administration application.
2. Open Parameters from the System Properties section.
3. Enter the IP Address of the PC where you installed the UMA and click "Save IP".
4. At this point you should see "Unified Messaging Application" appear on the tree view to the left of the screen.
5. If you do not see "Unified Messaging Application" appear on the tree view then the communication between the PM7 and the UMA service is not working --- Check the IP Addresses and ping both ways. Also check UMA is installed and running. If it is still not showing then power-cycle the PM7 and PARTNER R8 system.
6. Navigate to the "Email Servers" section and click "Add"
7. Select server type of SMTP from the drop down list.
8. Enter the server name. In this example "test.avaya.com" is used.
9. Navigate to Extensions and select an extension that you want to enable UMA for. In this example that extension is number 10.
10. Select the email server. This is the server defined earlier in this document.
11. Enter the email user name.
12. The system combines this data to form the email address that the voicemail messages will be sent to. In the example the messages will be forwarded to email@example.com.
13. Tick the box if you want the voicemail to be deleted from the extensions mailbox after it is forwarded to UMA. This is useful in testing if the PM7 has successfully connected to the UMA service as the message waiting light would go out after the message is forwarded.
14. This is all that needs doing on the PM7 administration side.
Testing & Troubleshooting the system
1. Dial the extension on the PARTNER system that is configured for UMA SMTP email forwarding.
2. Leave a message when the call covers to voicemail.
3. Check to see if the message is received by opening the email account using an email client (e.g. Outlook Express). If it is there and a wav file attachment is present then you have successfully configured the UMA.
4. If you have configured the extension to delete the message after it is routed to UMA then you can check to see if the message waiting light goes out shortly after the message is left. If it does not go out then you know there is a communication issue between the PM7 and the UMA service.
If the Message appears to get transferred to the UMA service but does not get to the email recipient then check the following:
1. On the UMA PC navigate to the install folder. For default installs this is "C:\Program Files\Unified Messaging Application".
2. Double click on "smtpexp.exe".
3. An Icon will appear in the Windows system tray.
4. Right click the icon and select "EasyMail SMTP Express Properties ..." from the menu.
5. A window should appear:
6. Ensure "Online" is ticked.
7. If the "messages Waiting to Be" value is zero then there are no queued messages waiting to be sent. If the value is greater than zero then it could be that it is having issues routing the messages to the external SMTP server.
8. If the "Total Successful Messages" value is greater than zero then the have been messages sent out to the external SMTP server by the UMA. If these messages have not reached the email client of the intended recipient then it could be that the external SMTP server did not allow the routing of the message (or could be a simple delay).
9. If Messages are queuing up but not getting sent then open the Routing tab
10. Here you can specify the DNS server as well as entering a fixed route. The server is the SMTP server. Port 25 is the default SMTP port.
11. Apply the changes and see if messages start to get sent successfully. You can use the "Retry Now" button in the "Processing" tab to speed up the send retries.
12. Check that Port 25 is not being blocked by any application, firewall or anti-virus software running on the PC.
Potential Adjustments to Anti-Virus Software Settings
Anti-Virus applications can potentially block the UMA SMTP service from routing the messages externally. The following steps we cover the configuration of McAfee – Other Anti-virus applications may do similar.
1. Open McAfee Virus Scan Console.
2. Double click Access Protection
3. In the properties there is a "standard Protection" category. --- This has a rule called "prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail". If this has 'Block' ticked then it is blocking your mail getting out from the UMA SMTP service.
4. Edit the "prevent mass mailing worms from sending mail" rule and you should be able to add to the list of exceptions. Add smtpexp.exe to that list.
5. Now open the EasyMail SMTP application.
6. Click the 'Retry now' button in the Notifications tab and then check to see if the messages start to get sent (see Status tab).
Avaya SSD Tier 4 Support
Tel: +44 1707 392200
Fax: +44 (0) 1707 376933
Tel: +1 732 852 1955
Fax: +1 732 852 1943
© 2007 Avaya Inc. All rights reserved.
Back to Avaya: PARTNER systems FAQ Index
Back to Avaya: PARTNER systems Forum
Join Tek-Tips® Today!
Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.
Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:
- Talk To Other Members
- Notification Of Responses To Questions
- Favorite Forums One Click Access
- Keyword Search Of All Posts, And More...
Register now while it's still free!
Already a member? Close this window and log in.
Join Us Close