INTELLIGENT WORK FORUMS
FOR COMPUTER PROFESSIONALS
Come Join Us!
Are you a
Computer / IT professional?
Join Tek-Tips now!
- Talk With Other Members
- Be Notified Of Responses
To Your Posts
- Keyword Search
- One-Click Access To Your
- Automated Signatures
On Your Posts
- Best Of All, It's Free!
*Tek-Tips's functionality depends on members receiving e-mail. By joining you are opting in to receive e-mail.
Promoting, selling, recruiting, coursework and thesis posting is forbidden.
Changing your Product ID after installation
Posted: 14 Oct 03 (Edited 12 Jul 04)
If you need to change the installation key that you used to install your copy of Windows XP you can do so by following the instructions below.
1) Click On Start
2) Click On Run
3) Type Regedit.exe and Click on ok
4) Go to the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents
5) In the right pane, right-click the OOBETimer binary value, and then click Modify.
6) Change at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
7) Close the Registry Editor
8) Restart your Machine
9) Click On Start
10) Click on Run
11) Type %systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a and click ok
12) Click on Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to activate Windows
13) Click Next
14) Click Change Product key
15) Type the new product key in the New key boxes, and then click Update
16) If you are returned to the previous window, click Remind me later, and then restart the computer
Note: Some people have experienced problems with this method. IF so you can download a free utility that will do this called RockXp and you can get it from http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-195.shtml
SP2 does not seem to support the above methods, in order to change your CD key a Repair Installation seems the only way. I will conduct more testing and get back with the results.
Back to Microsoft: Windows XP Pro FAQ Index
Back to Microsoft: Windows XP Pro Forum
Join Tek-Tips® Today!
Join your peers on the Internet's largest technical computer professional community.
It's easy to join and it's free.
Here's Why Members Love Tek-Tips Forums:
- Talk To Other Members
- Notification Of Responses To Questions
- Favorite Forums One Click Access
- Keyword Search Of All Posts, And More...
Register now while it's still free!
Already a member? Close this window and log in.
Join Us Close